Electric Motors: Understanding & Troubleshooting
THIS TRAINING PROGRAM IS ELIGIBLE FOR AN EARLY BIRD DISCOUNT OF $100 IF REGISTERED 60 DAYS OUT (OR MORE) AND WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY APPLIED AT CHECKOUT!
At the end of this training program attendees will be able to:
- Basics of electric motors
- Troubleshooting common problems found in the workplace.
- Certification: This training program is approved by and can to lead to certification through North American Technician Excellence (NATE). Testing for this certification is administered by a NATE testing organization.
- Why This Training Program
- Who Should Take This Training Program
- What You'll Learn
- Training Program Description
Why You should take this training program
Participants learn the basics of electric motors including how to maintain and troubleshoot common problems found in the workplace. This course covers the operation and maintenance of AC and DC motors, including 3-phase, dual voltage and multiple speed motors. For each motor application, factors such as driven load, environmental conditions, power availability and performance capabilities will help determine what type of motor is the best fit for a given purpose.
Participants will become familiar with the National Electrical Code® (NEC) requirements for motor operation and installation. Course content progresses logically from basic operational theory to the actual operation of various types of AC and DC motors. The training includes numerous hands-on lab exercises designed to help participants operate, test and troubleshoot electric motors.
Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and Contact HoursDownload Training Program PDF
Upon completion of this training program, the attendee will receive a certificate of completion with 8 contact hours (.8 CEUs) per day attended. Please contact your state or local licensing agency to determine if this training program is accepted.
Who Should Take This Training Program
This is a basic course, without any prerequisites, that helps you develop a solid foundation to build your troubleshooting knowledge and skills. This course is appropriate for anyone who works on motors. Both the classroom and lab versions of this course will leave you confident you will understand what’s going on with your motors, why, and what to do about it.
People who will benefit from attending this course include:
- Maintenance Technicians
- HVAC maintenance and Repair Technicians
- Energy management personnel
- Plant & facility maintenance technicians
- Building engineers
- Building managers & superintendents
- Stationary engineers
- Safety directors
- Multi-craft personnel
- Anyone who needs cross-training on pumps and pump systems
What You'll Learn
Topics covered during training include:
- Basic Motor Theory
- Nameplate Data
- Three-Phase Motors
- National Electrical Code® and Motors
- Single-Phase Motors
- DC Motors
- Megohmmeter Checking and Insulation Breakdown
- Tachometer, Capacitor Checker
Training Program Description
BASIC MOTOR THEORY
- Horsepower, torque and loading
- Electrical principles¬—voltage, current, impedance
- Magnetism, induction, propulsion
- Frequency, speed, and slip
- Power factor
- Voltage, phase, FLA, frequency
- RPM, duty, design, code letter
- Service factor, insulation, temperature
- Frame, connections, efficiency
- Wyes and deltas
- 3, 6, 9, and 12 leads
- Dual voltage connections
- Squirrel cage, synchronous, wound rotor
NATIONAL ELECTRIC CODE® & MOTORS
- Sizing conductors
- Overload protection
- Motor starters
- Short-circuit protection
- Design E motors
- Exercises on using the NEC
- Capacitor-start, permanent-split, shaded-pole, split-phase, repulsion and universal
- Dual voltage connections
- Multiple speed connections
- Series, shunt, compound and permanent-magnet
MAINTENANCE & TROUBLESHOOTING
- Motor inspection criteria
- Advantages and disadvantages
- Enclosure types
1. Select a date and location to register
2. Confirm & Checkout
Training Program Schedule
By clicking the checkbox below, you certify that...
- You are registering to take this class on behalf of your current employer/company and
- My employer/company is paying for this training
Call (855) 712-7353 for more info on schedule and pricing.
Training Program Pricing
2-Day Hands-On Lab + Lecture: $1,095 / Participant
This training program may be included with other training or as a standalone course. As such, training time depends on training program length as determined by your outcome goals. Please call (800) 922-2820 or CONTACT NTT TRAINING to discuss pricing and your unique training needs.
Don’t see a local training program in your area? Call (855) 712-7353 for more info on schedule and pricing!100% of NTT's offering can be brought to your facility Request On-Site Training